St. Thomas More Hospital
St. Thomas More Hospital is a 55-bed acute care facility nestled in the heart of Canon City, CO, servicing Fremont and Custer Counties. In 1996, we became part of the Centura Health system, Colorado’s largest healthcare system.
St. Thomas More Hospital was established in 1938 by the Benedictine nuns of Sacred Heart Monastery in Yankton, SD. The hospital moved from Macon Ave. to its current location in 1968 on land donated by the Odd Fellows. A recent $18 million expansion has provided a new surgery department, new Intensive Care Unit, new patient wing, expanded Imaging and Emergency Departments, and a new Outpatient Rehabilitation and Occupational Medicine center on campus.
Our services include:
- general and outpatient surgery
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
- 24-hour Emergency Room/Level IV trauma center
- Complete Rehabilitation Services including:
- Physical and Occupational Therapies
- Cardiac Therapy
- Warm Water Pool Therapy
- Lymphadema Therapy
- Hand Specialist on staff
- Wound Care
- Injury Recovery
• Birth Center
- dedicated C-section OR
- That’s My Baby on-line nursery
- personalized care and accommodations
- Imaging/Radiology, including MRI, 16-slice CT Scan, mammography, Nuclear Medicine, X-Ray
- Infusion Therapy
- Sleep Disorders Center
- Diabetic education program
- Smoking Cessation program
- CPR/First Aid certification classes
- St. Thomas More Health & Fitness Center - available to the public. Located at 715 So. 9th St., Canon City, 269-8790
- Long-term care facility on site (Progressive Care Center)
- Occupational Medicine program (CCOM) on site
- More than 40 local physicians on staff, including Family Practice, OB/GYN, Urology, Internal Medicine, Orthopedics, Radiology, Emergency Medicine and General Surgery.
- Bariatric specialty - Gastric LapBand and bypass surgery. St. Thomas More Hospital was the first hospital in Colorado to offer the gastric Lap Band procedure after its approval by the FDA in 2001. Currently, two surgeons on staff perform these bariatric procedures for the morbidly obese.
- Sleep Disorders Center. The purpose of a sleep laboratory is to identify health risk problems that manifest themselves through sleep patterns, such as sleep apnea. The St. Thomas More Hospital Sleep Lab is the only diagnostic testing program for sleep disorders in Fremont County. Established in 2000, the lab is located in beautiful quarters on the second floor of the hospital., and is overseen by a board certified pulmonologist.
- St. Thomas More Ask-A-Nurse. FREE 24-hour nurse triage and physician referral. 1-800-327- NURS (6877)
- Community Involvement. The mission of St. Thomas More Hospital states that “we will nurture the health of the people in our communities.” To this end, St. Thomas More is involved in many local events, including senior health fairs, school age health fairs, business and government health fairs, and annual community celebrations.
In addition, the hospital sponsors:
- Health Speaker Bureau. Free guest health speakers in the education and civic arenas.
- 9Health Fair. The community’s largest health fair held every April, the 9Health Fair provides free and reduced cost health screenings.
- Child Health & Safety Day. Every spring, the hospital partners with local agencies to present this interactive event as a fun way to teach children how to play safely. Free bicycle helmets and child car safety seats prompt parents to help reduce the amount of child injuries seen in the ER. Special visitors include the Junglemobile from Denver Childrens Hospital, and the Flight For Life helicopter.
- Teddy Bear Clinic. Aimed at ages 4-12, the Teddy Bear Clinic is a way for children to become acquainted with the ER and hopefully diminish fears they may have during future medical visits. An average of 500 children attend these clinics every year.